lp/lpr interface

Root Boy Jim rbj at cmr.icst.nbs.gov
Fri Jun 17 01:02:00 AEST 1988

? From: "David R. Linn" <drl%backup at uunet.uu.net>

Are you sure that address will work?

? Before I reinvent the wheel, can anyone provide pointers on interfacing
? lpr- and lp-based spooling?  I have a network with both SUNOS/BSD machines
? and HP-UX/SYSV machines and would like to be able to print from any machine
? to any printer; that is, I would like to use lp(1) on an HP-UX machine to
? print across our Ethernet to an Apple LaserWriter on a Sun machine and I
? would also like to use lpr(1) to print from a Sun to a HPIB printer on
? an HP machine.

Well, with BSD, at least you have source. Port lpr/lpd to the machines
that don't have it, and use the filter in lp to call lpr. Then pray.
I am assuming that all the networking code will work everywhere.

? += David Linn ==========================================================+
? |  System Manager, Vanderbilt University School of Engineering		|
? |INET:	drl at vuse.vanderbilt.edu [129.59.100.1] (or root at vuse...)	|
? |UUCP:	...!uunet!vuse!drl		CSNET:	drl at vanderbilt.csnet	|
? |AT&T:	(615)322-7924			BITNET:	linndr at vuengvax		|
? |USPS:	P.O. Box 1824, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA, 37235	|
? +======== "I can sing louder than you" - T. S. `Dr. Seuss' Geisel ======+

Your signature is too wide. Please reformat it.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!