redirection before wildcards

Jeffrey_J_Vanepps at cup.portal.com Jeffrey_J_Vanepps at cup.portal.com
Tue Jun 14 12:28:31 AEST 1988

Someone asked:
	"for curiosity's sake, why exactly are redirections performed
	*before* wildcard expansions?"

Andrew Klossner answered:

   So that, in simple-minded shells without filename completion, I can type

	filter <in* | lpr

   to mean

	filter <in_service_report.88Apr12.version2A | lpr

I reply:

Seems to me what you have described is the desired thing to happen, but
exactly opposite of what does happen and what the first writer was curious
about. You have expansion occurring before redirection.

I've always wondered why this was this way myself. Of course, when I wrote
a shell I did it my way :-)
	Jeffrey_J_Vanepps at cup.portal.com
	sun!portal!cup.portal.com!jeffrey_j_vanepps

No cute quote since Portal doesn't have a .signature facility.