grep replacement

Lloyd Zusman ljz at fxgrp.UUCP
Thu Jun 16 07:14:58 AEST 1988

In article <7962 at alice.UUCP> andrew at alice.UUCP writes:

  	The following is a summary of the somewhat plausible ideas
  suggested for the new grep.  ...

  2) matching multi-line patterns (\n as part of pattern)
  	this actually requires a lot of infrastructure support and thought.
  	i prefer to leave that to other more powerful programs such as sam.
                                                                       ^^^

Since I'm one of the people who suggested the ability to match multi-line
patterns, I'm a bit disappointed about this ... but such is life.  So
where can I find 'sam'?  Is it in the public domain?  Is source code
available?

You can try to reply via email ... it might actually work, but don't
be surprised if your mail bounces, in which case I'd appreciate
replies here.

Thanks in advance.

--
  Lloyd Zusman                          UUCP:   ...!ames!fxgrp!ljz
  Master Byte Software              Internet:   ljz%fx.com at ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Los Gatos, California               or try:   fxgrp!ljz at ames.arc.nasa.gov
  "We take things well in hand."