Why DEC doesn't need an ABI

Jim Reid jim at cs.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 19:45:16 AEST 1988

In article <142 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>Does anyone know/remember what the arrangement with SysTime is/was?
>They were selling VAXen, at least in the UK, with some changes.

Systime used to be an OEM for DEC - I think they even went as far as
building systems from DEC supplied parts as well as badging DEC kit.
They are no longer in the DEC market after DEC sued them for not paying
royalties on copies of DEC boards. There were also other nasty allegations
about breaches of US export regulations, selling machines to agreed
DEC-only markets (eg education) and corner cutting with cheap and/or
barely-up-to-spec components. When DEC took over Systime's maintenance
business, a lot of ex-Systime customers had to fork out for upgrades
to bring their machines to the correct rev. levels.

		Jim
ARPA:	jim%cs.strath.ac.uk at ucl-cs.arpa, jim at cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:	jim at strath-cs.uucp, ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim
JANET:	jim at uk.ac.strath.cs

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"