grep replacement

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sun Jun 5 11:37:09 AEST 1988

From: gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn )
>In article <7944 at alice.UUCP> andrew at alice.UUCP writes:
>>	the right thing to do is to write a context program that takes
>>input looking like "filename:linenumber:goo" and prints whatever context ...
>
>Heavens -- a tool user.  I thought that only Neanderthals were still alive.
>I guess Bell Labs escaped the plague.

Almost, unless the original input was produced by a pipeline, in which
case this (putative) post-processor can't help unless you tee the mess
to a temp file, yup, mess is the right word.

Or maybe only us Neanderthals are interested in tools which work on
pipes? Have they gone out of style?

	-Barry "Ulak of Org" Shein, Boston University