another question about dump & restore

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Thu Jun 9 03:09:56 AEST 1988

   From: Kurt Indermaur <indermau at dg>

   In the man pages for restore, under "BUGS", is the sentence "Restore can get
   confused when doing incremental restores from dump tapes that were made on
   active file systems."  What is an "active file system"?  Nobody logged in?
   Single user mode?

This doesn't answer all you questions, but a file system that is unmounted,
or mounted read-only is inactive. Dump root and user in single user mode,
and you can do the rest this way. My home directory is on a very large
root for exactly this reason.

   I recently had a bad experience with dump/restore, which resulted (I think)
   from an active file system when the dump was made, and I'd like to avoid
   those problems in the future.

I have also had bad experiences with incremental restores, so I never do
them. I always do a restore x into a virgin directory and merge the
results by hand.

I consider full dumps sacred, to be done correctly, and incremental dumps
somewhat open to error, but this is my personal preference.

   Thanks again,

   Kurt Indermaur
   (indermau at dg.cs.umn.edu)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?