Smaller is better (Re: OSF (2) Why is it better than AT&T?)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Wed Jun 8 02:44:24 AEST 1988

What I want to know is:

	Why does everyone have this big need to just merge System V
	and BSD? A lot of the features that have been added since
	Version 7 (and even a few features in Version 7) just don't
	seem to fit well with the rest of UNIX.

	System V IPC, for example... why a new name-space seperate
	from the file system?

	I also can't get over the sneaking feeling that it should be
	possible to build a general windowing system with realtime
	support that will run in under a megabyte. After all, I use
	one every day that does a very good job in half a meg. Yes,
	I'm talking about the Amiga Exec. It's not up to UNIX standards,
	but surely protected memory can't cause more than a factor of
	two size differential?

Also:

	When are AT&T and/or Berkeley going to knuckle down and make
	all the commands use perror()? It's not perfect, but it's
	a lot better than "foo.bar: can't open" and it's been around
	for at least 8 years. Just this one change would do wonders
	for users' impressions of UNIX as a hostile beast.
--
-- Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
-- Phone: 713-274-5180. Remote UUCP: uunet!nuchat!sugar!peter.