Stdio buffering question

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sun Jun 12 23:58:52 AEST 1988

gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:

> I won't accuse [csh] of directing standard error output into pipes.
> Indeed I think you'd have to work fairly hard to get it to do so.

	Depends on what you call "fairly hard"; "foo |& bar" does the trick.

> someone thought it would improve network performance for error output to
> be sent in large chunks rather than a character at a time.

	Any system which produces so much error output that you have to
worry about how efficiently the error messages are delivered is getting far
too many errors.  Better you spend you time figuring out how to fix the
system than deliver the error messages faster.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy at uunet.uu.net