ZIM vs PROGRESS

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 03:34:25 AEST 1988

In article <5136 at dasys1.UUCP>, tbetz at dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>      In evaluating 4GL/RDBMS products available for Xenix 386, with an
>  aim of using one of these to develop an order proccessing/inventory
>  management/production database system, I've come down to a choice
>  between Zim and Progress...  and right now I'm leaning toward Zim, for
>  several reasons:
>
>      3:  Zim's self-documentation features far outstrip Progress's.
>  One example - when one adds or deletes a field from a file, one needs
>  must recompile any compiled procedures using that file.  Zim is kind
>  enough to tell you which procedures need to be recompiled, so you are
>  less likely to miss one.  This could save a lot of grief in an OLTP
>  system!

Progress does this as well even though possibly at the wrong time.
It will not run a procedure when the data dictionary has been updated
since the compile.
I actually use a make file to do the right compiles when I change
include files, a possibly more probable error.

>      4: Progress automatically compiles every procedure before running
>  it, while Zim permits considerable debugging in an interpreter, then
>  lets the user decide when it's time to compile.  Zim even permits
>  compiled procedures to call uncompiled procedures, and vice-versa!

Again, Progress allows this.  All procedures must be compiled to run
but Progress just checks to see if a compiled version exists.  If not,
it compiles the source version.  Compile times are not very long so
this shouldn't be a serious problem at debug time.  The longest compile
I have is probably 10-15 seconds for a few hundred lines on a 286
system.  Expect the 386 system to run about 4 times faster.

I have been using Progress for about 2 years and am happy with it.
I don't know about Zim and am interested to see how it all comes out.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl