O'pain Software Foundation: (3) relationship to GNU & openness

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 23:04:33 AEST 1988

In article <358 at mipseast.mips.COM> rogerk at mipseast.mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:

>Yes, but when it was started, AT&T wasn't an owner of Sun...

And it still isn't. AT&T owns a little over 7% of Sun's stocks. That can
hardly be called ownership. Recall that AT&T owns around 22% of Olivetti
and noone ever said that Olivetti was owned by AT&T.

Just look at the AT&T-Olivetti relationship over the last few years, and
especially the recent events. Then tell me whether AT&T owns Olivetti.
Then tell me how AT&T can own Sun (with only 7% of the stocks).

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

    UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell		ARPA: ekrell at ulysses.att.com