grep replacement

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at masscomp.UUCP
Mon Jun 6 12:20:34 AEST 1988

The only change I've ever had to make to the source for grep to make it do
what I want was to make it work with arbitrary-length lines.
I consider not handling long lines (and not complaining about them either)
to be extremely antisocial.  All this other stuff is just window-dressing.
Not that it's bad; one integrated grep with B-M strings, alternation and
inversion operators, and nifty feeping creaturism is great by me.

I usually handle the multi-line-record case by tr'ing all the intermediate
line ends into some unused character, doing my database hackery (grep, awk,
sed, what have you) and then tr'ing back at the end.  This is one reason for
having grep support very long lines.

				As always,

				Gary

Remember,			Truth is not beauty;      (617)692-6200x2445
Information is not knowledge;	Beauty is not love;	  Gary   Oberbrunner
Knowledge is not wisdom;	Love is not music;	  ...!masscomp!garyo
Wisdom is not truth;		Music is the best. - FZ   ....garyo at masscomp