grep replacement

andrew at alice.UUCP andrew at alice.UUCP
Sat Jun 4 02:58:39 AEST 1988

In article <449 at happym.UUCP>, kent at happym.UUCP writes:
> From alice.UUCP??  Ha ha!  That's Bell Labs!  It will be in V10
> Unix, and none of us humans will see it until sysVr6, and only then
> if we are lucky!!

Context:
	the right thing to do is to write a context program that takes
input looking like "filename:linenumber:goo" and prints whatever context you like.
we can then take this crap out of grep and diff and make it generally available
for use with programs like the C compiler and eqn and so on. It can also do
the right thing with folding together nearby lines. At least one good first
cut has been put on the net but a C program sounds easy enough to do.

Source:
	the software i write is publicly available because it matters to me.
it was a hassle but mk and fio are available to everybody for reasonable cost
(< $125 commercial, nearly free educational). i am trying hard to do the
same for the new grep. it will be in V10, it will be in plan9, and should be
in SVR4 (the joint sun-at&t release).