Tool -flag considered harmful

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Jun 15 12:37:48 AEST 1988

In article <23325 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>Another anti-filename:linenum argument is what if I want to limit the
>output to LESS than a single line, like printing only the exact text
>matched? &c.

Hey, while we're at it, have an option to highlight the matched
pattern(s) in STANDOUT MODE (i.e. add control characters based on
getenv("TERM") or a -Tname option).  You have to admit that would
sometimes be useful, and it depends even more than context on
what grep "has it's hands on".

How far do you want to go with this?