SVR3 AT&T contract info

Ron Holt ron at iconsys.UUCP
Sat Jun 25 03:20:39 AEST 1988

I have double checked a few facts about the System V Release 3 contract
with AT&T.  I have read carefully our contract and verbally verified
my understanding of it with our AT&T licensing representative.  There
has been quite a bit of unsupported and incorrect information on this
subject.  I hope the following will aid in generating more light than heat:

1)	The SVR3 contract does not mention SVVS.  Passing SVVS is not
	a requirement.  SVID compliance is.  These are not one in the same.

	It does say: "A SUBLICENSED PRODUCT containing any portion of the
	BASE System must conform to the System V Interface Definition,
	Issue 2, Volumes 1, 2 and 3 ("SVID2") for the BASE..."  It also
	states that "LICENSEES must certify in writing that the SUB-
	LICENSED PRODUCT meets the applicable requirements above prior
	to delivering any SUBLICENSED PRODUCT."

	Again, no mention of SVVS.  The licensee is free to use any
	means to verify conformance including developing their own
	suite.

2)	In our case, our SVR3 agreement is a supplement to our existing
	SVR2 contract.  The only fundamental change in the supplement
	is the requirement of SVID conformance if any SVR3 code is
	used.  This is apparently the same for those who did not have
	a prior contract with AT&T.

3)	We are not under any non-disclosure agreement in regards to our
	AT&T contract.  We are not unique in this respect.

4)	Our licensing representative was not aware of any significant
	changes in the SVR4 licensing and believed any significant changes
	unlikely.

Again, I have read our SVR3 contract and personally talked our licensing
manager at AT&T on this subject.  If anyone has any contradicting information,
please feel free to share it but also be able to support it.  AT&T can be
reached at 1-800-828-UNIX.
--
Ron Holt                     UUCP: {uunet,caeco}!iconsys!ron
Software Development Manager ARPANET: icon%byuadam.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Icon International, Inc.     BITNET: icon%byuadam.bitnet
Orem, Utah 84058             PHONE: (801) 225-6888