Magic symlink syntax

David Elliott dce at mips.COM
Tue Jun 14 01:55:48 AEST 1988

We are in the process of considering a system modification that systems
folks lovingly refer to as the "nami hack" (or "namei hack" for BSD folks).
This is the modification that allows one to put a variable inside of
a symbolic link target so that people can choose default execution
"universes" or "modes" or "system types".

I believe that the Apollo Domain/IX syntax was '($name)' or '$(name)'.
I'd like to get a list of those currently available, as well as the
pros and cons of each syntax.

Also, if other people have come up with functionally similar systems
that use a different mechanism, I'd like to hear about those as well.

--
David Elliott		dce at mips.com  or  {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!dce