grep replacement

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Fri Jun 10 19:29:43 AEST 1988

In article <8012 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <7944 at alice.UUCP> andrew at alice.UUCP writes:
>> the right thing to do is to write a context program that takes input
>> looking like "filename:linenumber:goo" and prints whatever context ...

> Heavens -- a tool user.  I thought that only Neanderthals were still
> alive.  I guess Bell Labs escaped the plague.

A real useful `tool', this, that works only on files.  And only when
you grep more than one file, so you get filenames (or happen to be able
to remember which flag it is to make grep print filenames always,
assuming of course that your grep has it).

Besides, grep has the context, or could have if it wanted to bother
saving it.  Why read all two hundred thousand lines of the file
*again*?  Wasn't it bad enough the first time?

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu