C Compiler bugs (was Re: Speaking of ksh)

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ISC.COM
Tue Jun 7 02:36:17 AEST 1988

In article <15085 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>Following up from comp.unix.wizards are amusing C Compiler bugs:
>Then there was the bug where if you had a structure declaration right before
>main and forget to end it with a ; the program would core dump on exit:
>	struct blob { int a, b, c; } /* missing ; */
>	main(argc, argv) ...

Why should it be considered a "compiler bug" when a syntactically correct
program containing a user bug dumps core?  It seems to me that the appropriate
"fix" is to make sure that lint complains about the mismatched declaration.

Followups to comp.lang.c.