On Bringing a Sun to It Knees.

Bruce G. Barnett barnett at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Jun 10 20:46:17 AEST 1988

In article <493 at jim.odr.oz> jon at jim.odr.oz (Jon Wells) writes:
|Does Sun use some `clever' algorithm for paging which gets confused by
|random accesses and starts paging out the things that it needs most????

I did some benchmarks on a SunOS 3.0 system and found the system
page thrashing when traversing a large matrix on the diagonal.
I then did a vadvise(VA_FLUSH) at the top and got a factor of 10 improvement.

Your supposition may be correct in some cases.

FYI: Sun 4's and Context switching. The Sun4/110 only has 8 contexts
in hardware. The Sun 4/280 has 16. See SunOS 4.0 Device Driver Manuals.
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett