lp/lpr interface

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 17 03:33:40 AEST 1988

>   The LP spooling as implemented in SysV (I haven't looked on SUNod but
> I think it's the same)

More or less.  The SunOS spooler is the 4.2BSD or 4.3BSD spooler (4.3BSD if
you're running 4.0); it does have the notion of "filter" programs, but it's
done differently.  The 4.xBSD one also has networking support built in; it's
nice to have "lpq", "lprm", etc. work over the wire as well as "lpr"
(especially since I have no printer attached to my machine).

> I have a system setup to use another systems printer, and the script uucp's
> the data to a special directory on the machine with the printer. You can
> also do this by Enet,

If you have a UUCP that works over e.g. TCP on both sides; the current SunOS
one doesn't support TCP connections.