Alloca() and friends

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ISC.COM
Tue Jun 7 02:04:48 AEST 1988

In article <1874 at thebes.UUCP> schwartz at thebes.UUCP (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>[gcc allows "foo(s) int s; { int a[s]; ... }".]
>I think this obviates the need for alloca() in most (all?) cases.
>Too late to get it in ansi, I suppose.

Yes, I'm sure it's much too late to get it into ANSI C-88, if indeed it ever
had a chance.  But this is exactly the right way to get it into C-99 (or
whenever __STDC__==2 comes out): by including it as a nonconforming extension
in popular compilers, the ramifications ought to be well-understood by then.

Followups to comp.lang.c.