grep replacement

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Mon Jun 6 13:03:03 AEST 1988

From: gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn )
>There is nothing particularly wrong with the "tee" approach to
>turn a stream into a file long enough for whatever work is being
>done.  The converse is often done; for example many of my shell
>scripts, after parsing arguments, exec a pipeline that starts
>in order to ensure a stream input to the rest of the pipeline.

Nothing wrong with it unless you happen to be on a parallel machine as
I am a lot of the time and pipes can run in parallel nicely.

Nyah Nyah, got ya there! PHFZZZZT! I win! I win!

You're right, this is getting ridiculous, we made our points...

Ok everyone, back to arguing which flags should be maintained in cat
and Unix Standardization AKA "West Coast Story" (snap fingers.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University