How good is Apollo UNIX? (was: O'pain Software Foundation: (2))

Kenneth T. Smelcer kts at quintro.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 16:37:31 AEST 1988

In article <697 at vsi.UUCP> friedl at vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Ron Natalie @ Rutgers notes:
>> The Apollo systems I've been forced to use do such a poor imitation
>> of UNIX that I have no wonder that you have problems with SVVS.
>
>A friend of mine who uses Apollo says the same thing as well.
>

>In Apollo's defense, Nathanial Mishkin (mishkin at apollo.uucp) says:
>> In at least some ways, SVVS as it is currently constituted
>> thus stifles innovation.  I think stifling innovation is something
>> none of us want.
>
>Isn't it *wonderful* how people can make sunshine out of sh*t? :-)

This isn't the place for a "How good is Apollo Unix" war, but I just
had to put my $0.02 in defense of Domain/IX.

Despite their reputation, Apollo has been doing a fairly good job
in the past few years of integrating Unix into their environment.
The older Apollo releases (pre-9.0) had real problems, but the current
release (9.7) is quite Unix compatible (for both SysVR2 and BSD 4.2).
I have very few problems with programs from comp.sources.* (most run
without any modifications), and I think they've done a decent job
integrating SysV, BSD, and Aegis into a usable, coherent package.

I don't know about IBM and DEC, but Apollo has definitely demonstrated
their commitment to Unix, and to the unification of the various flavors
of Unix into a common platform.

As far as the SVVS is concerned, I'd be interested in hearing any details
about the problems Domain/OS (also known as SR10) had passing the
verification suite.