new grep

williams at nrl-css.arpa williams at nrl-css.arpa
Wed Jun 22 23:58:34 AEST 1988

	Date: Fri, 27 May 88 14:39:34 EDT
	From: Root Boy Jim <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Subject: grep replacement
	(1087 chars) [More?]

	        Al Aho and I are designing a replacement for grep, egrep
		and fgrep.  The question is what flags should it support and
		what kind of patterns ...

	I have always thought it would be nice to print only the first match.

	        (Root Boy) Jim Cottrell <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>

I'll second this.  There have been many times when I simply wanted to
detect the presence of a pattern in a file, then stop searching.  Various
ways of doing this with existing tools (head -1, etc.) are inefficient.

"If you're going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance."
	- Denis Owens, WGMS 103.5 FM

James W. Williams			williams at nrl-css.arpa
Systems Administrator, Code 5505
Information Technology Division
Naval Research Laboratory		(202) 767-9035
Washington, DC 20375