Speaking of ksh

Lawrence V. Cipriani lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jun 4 22:43:57 AEST 1988

In article <3870001 at hpcuhb.HP.COM> kluft at hpcuhb.HP.COM (Ian Kluft) writes:
>I've seen malloc() bomb many times on an AT&T 3B5 at CSU Chico when people
>used char [] and char * interchangeably across function calls.  These have
>been considered equivalent in all the C texts way back to K&R but, in reality,
>at least AT&T's C compiler cannot always swallow it.

These are not equivalent in every possible context, please give an example.
Also, what version of C are you running (use the command what /bin/cc).

>Why it affects malloc() we never exactly figured out.  But this has always
>fixed problems that sounded identical to what you just described.

There is a similar bug in old 3B5 compilers.  It would accept null
dimensions on all of the dimensions of a multidimensional array.  e.g.,

	f(a)
	int a[][];

of course the program crashed and burned.
--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems and Ohio State University
Domain: lvc at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu