Magic symlink syntax

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Jun 15 12:59:24 AEST 1988

In article <56555 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>> (though they came up with one of the ugliest kludges i've ever seen to
>> handle v7 echo or system V echo as a shell builtin).
>Blame where blame is due :-); the "look at $PATH" hack was originally conceived
>by, I believe, Dave Korn (at least I got the idea from some mail I received
>from dpk).

DPK or DGK?

What I have suggested is that ALL echo commands be given both -n support
(for V7/BSD compatibility) and -e support a la V8/V9.  That would provide
a migration path for shell scripts and allow reasonable default behavior
for some future merged version of "echo" instead of escape mapping a la
SysV.