Speaking of Unix, unbundling, etc...

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 10:08:12 AEST 1988

As quoted from <5775 at megaron.arizona.edu> by lm at arizona.edu (Larry McVoy):
+---------------
| In article <7933 at ncoast.UUCP> allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| >Given, the file system switch.  We also have header files for both the
| >"generic" data structures and the S51K file system.  We also get the ability
| >to relink the kernel with our own additions.
| >
| >Query:  Is it too much to ask that some kind of information be available to
| >show how one would write one's own filesystem code for the FSS *for a
| >particular implementation*?
|
| It's pretty easy, actually.  Take a look at /usr/src/uts/???/fs/s5 and at
| (on an eta machine :-) .../cf/lboot_cf.c (on other machines this will vary,
| I assume, of course, that you have source.  And my point is that the source
| is your best documentation (flames to /dev/whiners).
+---------------

No, I will *not* exile myself to /dev/whiners, even though all you lordly
beings who have source wish we would go away.  It may be time to organize a
PD Posix implementation working group (it has been pointed out to me that Gnu
may well not be Posix-compatible) -- because many if not most of those who
run Unix *can't* *afford* source:  we aren't universities eligible for
educational licenses and we aren't huge companies to which $65,000 is
peanuts.
--
Brandon S. Allbery			  | "Given its constituency, the only
uunet!marque,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery | thing I expect to be "open" about