RFS vs. NFS

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Mar 24 08:13:25 AEST 1988

In article <7765 at apple.Apple.Com> jk at apple.UUCP (John Kullmann) writes:
>The key difference between NFS and RFS is:
>	Everyone wants and uses NFS and no one wants or uses RFS.

Funny, I thought the difference was that RFS is NFS done right.

NFS has a decisive marketing head start, but technically it has
several problems, the worst among them being UID mapping (yellow
pages).  I don't like the lock/stat daemons but presumably they
at least work; the UID mapping is too restrictive (confined to
a single subnet, requiring user-mode library changes, etc.).