RFS vs. NFS

John F Carr jfc at athena.mit.edu
Sat Mar 26 13:26:02 AEST 1988

In article <25 at denali.UUCP> karish at denali.UUCP (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <7544 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>In article <4112 at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett at steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:

::Typically an attempt to access a file on a down link causes the process
::to BLOCK at UNINTERRUPTIBLE priority!  I have been quite pissed off at
::this, on more than one occasion.  It's great fun to type "df" and then
::find that you're never going to get any farther...

:When I've tried this, the attempt to read from an inaccessible NFS
:partition has timed out after two minutes (on a VAX running SULTRIX).

I've seen both results.  On one occasion, when the link went down,
processes trying to use the link hung forever, waiting for the data
which never arrived...
The present result (with newer software which has probably been
considerably modified by MIT's project Athena) when a server goes
down is a timeout and error message.

   John Carr           "No one wants to make a terrible choice
   jfc at athena.mit.edu   On the price of being free"           -- Neil Peart