UUCP Problems

Mike Clarkson mike at ists
Tue Mar 29 12:16:46 AEST 1988

In article <10126 at steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
| In article <1113 at csuna.UUCP| abcscnge at csuna.UUCP (Scott "The Pseudo Hacker" Neugroschl) writes:
| | When attempting to run UUCP from a IBM XENIX 1.0 system to an SCO
| | XENIX V 2.2.1 system, the IBM system calls up and logs in, and the
| | SCO system responds with
| |
| | Shere
| |
| | and then times out the IBM system.  I also can't seem to get 2 IBM 1.0 systems
| | to talk via UUCP.  Any suggestions?
|
| Having spent several weeks finding a similar problem, I would suspect
| parity is the problem. Particularly if the call working in one direction
| and not the other. If that's the case let me know, I think I have the
| solution to the problem.

Very likely.  SCO defaults its port to no parity, while most other
Unixes default to even parity.  You have 2 choices; either change the
parity for your port to even using /etc/gettydefs, or at the IBM end,
try adding

	"" P_ZERO

at the beginning of the chat script, after the phone number.  This (may)
tell the IBM uucico to start up using parity = none.

--
Mike Clarkson						mike at ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science