Compressing unix disks

Greg Corson milo at ndmath.UUCP
Sun Mar 6 03:48:54 AEST 1988

Is anyone aware of any good programs for unfragmenting unix disks?  (collecting
all the files together so they use contiguous blocks).  I am looking for
programs for both BSD and SYSV systems.

Also, does anyone know of a way to get UNIX to allocate a file as contiguous
disk space?  Preferably, using normal user privleges but a scheme requireing
superuser permission would still be useful.

Please reply by mail as I don't get in to read news very often.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo