Remote dumps as root (was Re: Why does "root" worn everything?)

Paul Czarnecki pz at munsell.UUCP
Thu Mar 17 11:04:50 AEST 1988

In article <9318 at sunybcs.UUCP> kensmith at sunybcs.UUCP (Ken Smith) writes:
> It's too bad rdump uses a privileged socket, it'd be
> nice to be able to remote dump workstations from a non-root account.

I asked Sun what to do about this.  (Isn't software support wonderful)
They just told me to make /etc/dump setuid root, setgid operator.
None of my backups are done by someone logging in as root.

Was this stupid?

					pZ
--
		       Paul Czarnecki -- Spam, spam, spam, Usenet, and spam
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz