RFS vs. NFS

John Kullmann jk at Apple.COM
Sat Mar 26 04:07:05 AEST 1988

In article <7533 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <7765 at apple.Apple.Com> jk at apple.UUCP (John Kullmann) writes:
>>The key difference between NFS and RFS is:
>>	Everyone wants and uses NFS and no one wants or uses RFS.
>
>Funny, I thought the difference was that RFS is NFS done right.

Sorry Doug, 'rightness' does not enter into it.  We got RFS working
at Opus Systems, proudly demo'd it to all our key customers, etc. etc.,
and every single one of them said "gee, that's nice. when can I get NFS...".
I have heard this story from others too.

In the thousands and thousands of systems shipped not a single customer
wanted RFS.

By the way, I happen to agree with your points about UID probs, etc. and
could throw in a few of my own, like remote device access but I still think
that it doesnt matter how neat, functionally correct, etc. etc. something
is if no one wants it.

disclaimer: I am no longer at Opus Systems and nothing I might or might
not say can be attributed to anyone but myself. so there!

--
John Kullmann
Apple Computer Inc.