SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Mar 30 00:01:11 AEST 1988

In article <12690 at brl-adm.ARPA> rbj at icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>   From: Doug Gwyn  <gwyn at brl-smoke.arpa>
>   >   "script" for recording terminal session
>   "Script" screws up the application running under it sometimes.  It
>   could be implemented almost trivially with STREAMS.  Somebody should
>   do so.
>Interesting. Please elaborate.

Elaborate on what?  The screw-up is that certain operations do not
work right on ptys.  A streams-based implementation of "script" was
sent to me by Norman Wilson; it consisted of a few lines of shell
script.  The only thing not working was signal propagation to the
correct process group, because the Bourne shell doesn't have a way
to manipulate that.  A translation to C would also be only a few
lines and could solve the signal problem.