SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Mar 26 08:33:08 AEST 1988

In article <2038 at epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck at epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong, Doug, but I thought in shl you can't stop a
>process that isn't producing terminal output, ...

I believe that's correct, due to having the sxt terminal multiplexor
doing the actual work.

I didn't say "shl" was exactly the same or even as useful as BSD-style
job control, just that it was the nearest AT&T UNIX equivalent.  I
suspect you'll see BSD-style (signal-driven) job control in some
future AT&T UNIX, especially given the AT&T/Sun merged-UNIX project.

Commercial UNIX continues to accrete features...