Help us defend against VMS!

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Fri Mar 4 15:38:38 AEST 1988

In article <20268 at bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs at bu-cs.UUCP writes:
> Unix is the premiere system for compute intensive areas, such as the
> sciences using Fortran. The reason is the vast range of power a
> program written to run under Unix presents... [can be ported to machines
> of different sizes]

As a Death-starian, I heartily second the motion that the UNIX system is
great :-) -- but NOT with FORTRAN, at least not on plain-vanilla UNIX systems.
As you said yourself, the key phrase here is "compute intensive."  I.e. you
need all the crunch you can muster.  Code compiled by /usr/bin/f77 is not all
that marvelously efficient, to put it mildly.  Of course the Cray people
don't use /usr/bin/f77 :-) but if you're on a lesser machine it matters.
(DEC now does sell a FORTRAN compiler for ULTRIX which is as good as its VMS
version, and co$t$ about as much.)
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|