device driver book

Larry McVoy lm at arizona.edu
Mon Mar 14 08:38:40 AEST 1988

In article <4753 at gorbash.Rosemount.COM> dave at gorbash.Rosemount.COM (Dave Marquardt) writes:
>I was browsing in B. Dalton Software Etc. tonight and came across a book about
>writing UNIX device drivers by Egan and Teixeira, published by Wiley.  Has
>anybody else seen or read this book?  Any recommendations?
>
>	Dave

Yeah, I've seen it it (I own a copy).  It's a shame that they made it so
Masscomp specific.  I'd guess that these people have written drivers
almost exclusively under RTU; they take a stab at being general but I
got the feeling that a lot of stuff slipped through the cracks.  No
examples come to mind, but the feeling remains.  Anyway, even if the book
is complete it's a bit on the long (i.e., verbose) side.

Possible other (maybe better) sources of info:

* The ATT Device Driver Writer's Guide (I like this one a lot; but I've only
  written SysV drivers)
* The Sun Driver info in their standard dist manuals (at least I think it's
  the there; I've seen it - if you can't find it ask Sun).
--

Larry McVoy	lm at arizona.edu or ...!{uwvax,sun}!arizona.edu!lm