Shared Memory in BSD4.3 is lacking?

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.arpa
Sat Mar 5 08:14:59 AEST 1988

   Another feature of the choice to make semaphores/FIFOs/shared memory
   segments different from file descriptors is that select(3) presumably
   won't work with them.  How does one check the condition "is data ready
   on my queue or on my UDP port?"

Which brings a question to my mind. Are there any restrictions on the
things the selected fd's are attached to? I tend to think of using
select on tty's or sockets (pipes), but do they work on regular files
as well?  What if the file pointer is at EOF? And then what if someone
appends to the file? What about tape drives?

   Thanks,
   --
   John Riedl
   {ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!purdue!riedl  -or-  riedl at mordred.cs.purdue.edu

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
I'm mentally OVERDRAWN!  What's that SIGNPOST up ahead?
 Where's ROD STERLING when you really need him?