Remote dumps as root (was Re: Why does "root" worn everything?)

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at osiris.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 11:36:47 AEST 1988

In article <1610 at pinney.munsell.UUCP> pz at pinney.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) writes:

>I asked Sun what to do about this.  (Isn't software support wonderful)
>They just told me to make /etc/dump setuid root, setgid operator.
>None of my backups are done by someone logging in as root.
>
>Was this stupid?

	Gee - I am trying to remember if that is stupid or not: what happens
if Joe Blow then logs in and does a "/etc/dump 0f /vmunix <dumpdev>" or
something like that ??  :-)  Does it also allow anyone to make a copy of
a filesystem, including files that they normally couldn't look at ?? I
don't know if Sun has modified dump, but I'd check it out...  :-)

	Another option would be to have a COPY of dump that was setuid root
executable only by group operator, in a place where only that group (you'd
better HOPE) could execute it.

--mjr();