Inode table full on SVR2

Mikel Manitius mikel at codas.att.com
Wed Mar 9 02:40:46 AEST 1988

In article <146 at thebes.Thalatta.COM>, gregoire at Thalatta.COM (Keith Gregoire) writes:
> I am bumping heads with various stock system limits of SVR2 UNIX
> running on a VAX 11/750.  The nasty message I would like to eliminate
> right now is the "Inode Table overflow" that often occurs during
> periods of heavy use.  Could someone please e-mail me adb patch instructions
> for upping this parameter in the kernel?  This installation does not have
> a source code license.  Thanks in advance.

You should still be able to tune the kernel if you've really got SVR2.

Edit /etc/master.d/kernel, and change "NINODE" and "NFILE" to how many
i-nodes you think you will need in the kernel, you can double what you
have, or make it around 5 * NPROC (five times the maximum number of procs).

Then do this:

# cp /unix /unix.old
# cd /boot
# mkboot -k KERNEL
# touch /etc/system
# shutdown -y -g60 -i6

This will change the table size in the kernel, and reboot the
system with a new version of /unix.
--
					Mikel Manitius
					mikel at codas.att.com