Why does "root" worn everything?

John G Dobnick,EMS E380,5727, jgd at csd1.milw.wisc.edu
Sun Mar 13 14:07:30 AEST 1988

[Is the line eater an endangered species?]

After nosing around in source directories, and after looking at various
installation scripts, I was struck by a curiosity.  After thinking about
the file security features of UNIX, and their total lack of applicability
to "root", I was even more struck by this same curiosity.

Why does "root" seem to "own" everything?  Why is almost *all* installed
software (at least that which is supplied *with* the stock system) installed
by "root"? [I think these are really two statements of the same question.]

Given the security risks of running as root (*NO* protection at all),
I would think that most system maintenance work (like software installation)
would be done under as userid that is "protected".  It is *easy* to screw up,
and if you screw up as root ...

I would think that a "library" (or "bin") login would exist for the purpose
of installing and maintaining software.  The second timesharing system I
ever used (a DEC TSS-8, on a PDP-8/e), was organized this way.  (The first
timesharing system was a Burroughs B5500 running MCP... but I digress [and
show my age].)

Subsidiary questions.  Is this organization historical?   Is it just laziness
on the part of the [original/intermediate/recent] developers/distributors
of UNIX?  Is this situation going to be addressed?  Is the situation different
between the System V and Berkeley species of UNIX?  (We use the bsd variant,
if that is really relevant to this issue.)

I have limited this to North America only, as the suppliers of UNIX all
seem to be located there.  [Unless California has fallen off already. :-) ]

--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
INTERNET: jgd at csd4.milw.wisc.edu

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire