"It's snake oil, absolute snake oil"

964[jak]-Robert Halloran rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
Fri Mar 18 23:28:56 AEST 1988

In article <183 at mcf.UUCP> shan at mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) writes:

>	Just when you thought the latest round of VMS vs. UNIX wars
>was tapering off, now comes this :-). I just came across the latest issue
>of Computer Systems News, YAITR (Yet Another Industry Trade Rag) and saw
>the above qoute. I append the following lines taken from the March 14 issue
>for your amusement:
> --- start of quote  --
>
>	Asked to comment on the recent uproar over the AT&T and
>	Sun Microsystems Inc. Unix development alliance, Olsen
>	without mentioning particular companies, likened some vendors
>	of Unix products to "snake oil" salesmen and said the claim
>	that Unix will resolve incompatibility problems within
>	multi-vendor networks is "a naive idea."
> -- end of quote ---

Of course, Ken Olsen also made the following comment in 1977:

	"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		DDD: (201)251-7514
Internet: rkh at mtune.ATT.COM			       evenings ET
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: These opinions are solely MINE; any correlation with AT&T
	policies or positions is coincidental and unintentional.
Quote: "There were incidents & accidents, there were hints & allegations"
		-- Paul Simon