SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Mon Mar 21 02:55:48 AEST 1988

In article <7499 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>)
writes:
[arguments why SVR3 is as good as 4.3BSD on all counts]

Here are some things I see under 4.3BSD that I don't see under SVR3,
unless they are either not documented or I somehow missed them.  I'm
comparing the full packages, not just the kernels.

   job control (stop/restart jobs, get status of jobs and know
                one is stopped for tty input)
   intelligent echoing to screen (SVR3 seems to blindly echo
        everything or nothing, can mess up screen, won't redraw
        partially-typed line, won't align tabs on char erase)
   intelligent mail handling -- sendmail, MH, biff, vacation
   "script" for recording terminal session
   "ul" for underlining when printing on various printers
   one complete KWIC index for all manuals
   symbolic links
   long filenames
   a user can be in multiple groups
   user information lookup ("finger", "lastcomm", "last")
   UUCP over TCP/IP links
   support for multiple command interpreters with #! as first line of script
   dbm library--fast /etc/passwd and /usr/lib/news/history access etc.
   context diffs from diff
   smarter, friendlier "at" program

A note about UUCP:  Although theoretically HDB UUCP is the equal of the
4.3BSD UUCP, I constantly hear horror stories on Usenet about how HDB
UUCP doesn't work right for one reason or another.  I don't hear quite
as many horror stories about 4.3BSD UUCP, probably because it has been
better integrated into the rest of the system and has had time to
stabilize.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi