SVR3.0 vs BSD4.3

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Tue Mar 22 03:00:58 AEST 1988

  One of the problems with merging SysV and BSD is the long names. If
names are made > 14 char buffers in existing SysV programs break, if 14
is used some BSD things will break. I must confess I think BSD names are
too much of a good thing... do we really need names longer than the data
in the file? Most sites trim the filenames to either 1k or something
smaller, and I doubt that 1% of a ll files in the world have names
longer than some reasonable size, such as 64 or even 32 characters.

  Other than that the change in filesystem should be invlisble to the
user. I find that BSD programs do non-intuitive things with symbolic
links about as often as I wish I had them on Sysv, so that's a wash.
Please reread the 211 articles posted as "symbolic links are a botch"
before posting any more on the topic. It has been beaten to a pulp and
there is serious disagreement. I suspect that some form of link will
appear, but not the current BSD version.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)