Hand Assembling for the VAX..

Kishore K. Seshadri kishore at ms.uky.edu
Sat Mar 19 02:18:09 AEST 1988

I've been trying to hand assemble some stuff for the MicroVAX II that I work
on. However I find the byte-backwards (ok, maybe byte-different..) stuff on
the VAX really confusing. I've looked over the Architecture reference manual
but it hasn't been very helpful. The question I had is : given a BRW instructionthat looks like      BRW 1040 (Branch Word) what does the bit pattern look
like? (assuming the 1040 is in hex). Also BRW seems to allow a maximum
displacement of 16 bits. What does one use to make bigger jumps?
	Also if I obtain the address of a function bar using nlist, the actual
function seems to starts a few bytes after the value returned by nlist. These
few bytes are probably used to hold some status info. I've been trying to
figure out the exact size of this area.
	If there are any assembly hackers out there, I'd be glad for any help...