VMS, UNIX, etc.

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Mon Mar 14 14:44:17 AEST 1988

In article <10157 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ekrell at hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) writes:
> In article <397 at lscvax.UUCP> ram at lscvax.UUCP writes:
>
> >Perhaps if there was a
> >machine that was sufficiently fast to handle Unix, I would think about
> >switching my alignment, but I doubt it. Too many other problems with it
> >that I see.
>
> Is a Cray fast enough? it does run Unix. The Cray is faster than any
> IBM mainframe, therefore Unix is better than VM/CMS, right? (I'm using your
> own rationale).

One of my professors had a great quote when the topic of operating
system "speed" or "efficiency" came up:

	"How do you measure efficiency?  For some it how much
	gets done per CPU cycle, but for others it is how much
	you get done in a week."

He liked Unix a lot.

--
Steve Friedl, KA8CMY      ARPA/CSNet:  friedl at vsi.uu.net       *Hi Mom*
uucp email : { kentvax, uunet, attmail, ihnp4!amdcad!uport }!vsi!friedl