Holey files, Batman!

Dan Trottier dan at maccs.UUCP
Sun Mar 20 02:05:30 AEST 1988

Then there was the case of a student who inadvertently fseek'ed to a
pointer value and wrote a couple of bytes of data and closed the file.

The morning backup of a 146 MB partition wanted 26 40 MB tapes! Yes folks
thats a total of 1040 MB. Of course df(1), du(1), and find(1) indicated
all was fine. We had to do an "ls -laR" to find that someone had created
a 1 Gigabyte file! You would think dump(8) would be a little smarter.

--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan at mcmaster.BITNET