DEC TK50 tape drive performance w/4.3BSD

Mark Ehr mehr at polygon.UUCP
Wed Mar 23 05:19:56 AEST 1988

I have a DEC MicroVax II, which (unfortunately) has the TK50 cartridge tape
drive as its' only means for backup.  I am having *terrible* performance
with dump (I have 4.3 BSD, by the way);  as an example, I can generally
only get around 35 megabytes on the tape;  DEC's specifications say that it
is a 90+ megabyte capacity cartridge.

If anyone has any experience with this particular problem, I would very much
like to hear if a fix has been found.  The driver that I am using in the dump
command is '/dev/rmt8', which is supposed to be the correct one.

Mark Ehr @ Polygon Network, Inc. (uunet!polygon!mehr)