Help us defend against VMS!

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Mar 21 07:37:22 AEST 1988

In article <10720 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

> This gave me a funny thought.  If you have seen Ultrix 2.x, you know
> that it `looks more like VMS' than did 4.2BSD.  Perhaps the plot runs
> thus:  Hack Ultrix until it smells enough like VMS to get most customers
> to switch.

Huh?  If Ultrix 2.x is more like VMS than Ultrix 1.x, it's going to
take DEC 10 years to do the trick.  That's not to say that won't try
to provide some kind of VMS emulation environment, but the biggest
changes in 2.x are to make VAXes and VAX workstations more or less
competitive with the random unix oriented hardware providers.  This
is mostly spelled Sun compatible networking/NFS, workstation support
and X-windows.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net