VMS, UNIX, etc.

Ric Messier ram at lscvax.UUCP
Fri Mar 11 10:23:54 AEST 1988

Just for the sheer enjoyment of starting another argument, I thought I
might throw my two cents worth in. I have worked on what are supposed to
be the fastest VAXen around running both Unix and VMS. Though they both
seem to have their uses, I haven't seen one yet that can run faster than
and IBM (even if the IBM had 300 logins and the VAXen were running
single user). I realize that to most of you IBM is an evil word and I
will grant you that they are expensive and sometimes a little arrogant
but I will also state that I haven't seen a more user-friendly system
that still manages to be great for experts as well than VM/CMS. Sure, if
all you have seen is DOS/VS, VSE, MVS, MVT, CICS or other of IBM's batch
oriented OS's than you would certainly be justified in thinking that
most IBM machines are brain dead. To me at least, an IBM (4341, 3081,
3090, etc) running VM/CMS blows away any of Digital's machines, running
ANY operating system.

Now, you can all go to your corners and start flaming me if you like but
I haven't seen anything in UNIX yet (particularly its speed) that would
convert me. As for its documentation, which I have seen others talk
about, it is absolutely ATROCIOUS. And there is almost NO online help,
unlike IBM's FULL-SCREEN online help about anything you could possibly
need to know. As of yet, I haven't had much chance to play with anything
serious in the way of scripts or command languages on Unix or VMS but I
can tell you that what I have seen endears me even more to IBM's Rexx.

One last thought before I go. A friend of mine works for AT&T as a
programmer and he is using a lot of AT&T 3B machines running Unix and HE
still would take VM/CMS anyday of the week. Perhaps if there was a
machine that was sufficiently fast to handle Unix, I would think about
switching my alignment, but I doubt it. Too many other problems with it
that I see.

--
- Kilroy                                                 ram at lscvax.UUCP
'Just what cowpatch is Lyndonville, Vermont in anyway?'

                                                         *** Can't deal, &CRASH