Shared Memory in BSD4.3 is lacking?

Bill.Stewart.<ho95c> wcs at ho95e.ATT.COM
Sat Mar 5 05:53:37 AEST 1988

In article <2368 at umd5.umd.edu> chris at trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
:>In article <2329 at umd5.umd.edu> I wrote:
:>:System V shared memory is wrong.  (Now there is a good flammable

:In article <2009 at ho95e.ATT.COM> wcs at ho95e.UUCP
:>Ok, I'll flame!  What's wrong with System V shared memory?

[various good responses from Chris, Mike Ditto, and others]

Yeah, I agree IPC really should be attached to the file system,
though I'm not sure whether it should look like a regular file or
like some variant on the "pipe" special file type or a character-special.
Some of the "reasonable" implementations start to look appallingly like mmap().

:>I agree that the user interface is annoying,
:(It feels like something IBM might have invented.)
Ouch, that's getting nasty :-)!

:Additionally, the total number of shared pages allowed is, I believe,
:compiled into the kernel.
It's at least configurable.  On some architectures, with ancient or bizarre
MMUs, it's tough to be flexible.

:Finally, there is, it seems, no way to have sbrk and shm*
:co-operate.
This doesn't bother me much - sbrk is inherently dealing with a different
memory space.  But it *would* be nice to have malloc() able to use shm.

:The future BSD shared memory will cure all of these
:defects, or at least we think so....
If you do it right, it may be possible to write a System-V IPC emulation
library, to preserve existing software.

			Bill Stewart, ho95c!wcs

--

:[what *are* all those numbers in your name, anyway? :-) ]
:(46323-Bill.Stewart,2G218,x0705,) writes:
  ^department       ^room ^phone-extension
The standard AT&T Bell Labs Comp. Center format for the gcos field is
	11111-name(ABC123)1111
	^dept      ^acct# ^printerbin
The news software drops the account and printer bin.  My department
has extended the format a bit; we long ago added ",room-number,phone-extension"
(see 4.1BSD passwd(5) - but we don't expand E and C to Evans and Cory);
our current administrators have recently added a <home-machine> field.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs